You roll with the foam roller over your trigger points. A trigger point is a muscle knot, a hardening in the muscle that can cause local and radiating pain. You decide how much pressure you put on the muscle by using your own body weight. It is a way to relax your muscles and connective tissue. Keep in mind that when you start working with a foam roller, just like with a sports massage, it is often not a pain-free treatment. However, the pain should disappear almost immediately when you remove the pressure from your muscles.
Advantages of a foam roller:
- Better circulation of your muscles
- Better and faster disposal of waste materials
- Less pain around trigger points
- Less stiff and tired muscles
- Less muscle pain
- Cheap and easy alternative to a sports massage