Whole Triathlon / Ironman 226
We regularly receive questions about nutrition and sports nutrition in relation to the triathlon distances. Questions such as:
- What sports do I get now when?
- How do I deal with sports?
- What should I drink?
- What sports do I need now?
Our vision is that in order to understand if what you are taking, you must have information about ONwhich energy is working your body. When you use the energy source and how long can you keep this up. This information can be found on the pages of the General Physiology.
The intake of sports nutrition depends on many factors. Due to the above insight you soon am able to switch on the basis of the conditions to turn ..
The triathlon has many different distances which we have compiled a list below. Among the most famous and made distances we have gone more in detail. These are highlighted in orange.
The distance of an Ironman is 3.8 km swim, 180 km bike and 42.2 km run.
|Triathlon name||swim away||Bicycle distance||running away|
|Sprint||0.5mi (750m)||12.4mi (20km)||3.1mi (5km)|
|Olympic Distance / 5150||0.93mi (1.5km)||24.8mi (40km)||6.2mi (10km)|
|ITU Long||1.86mi (3km)||49.6mi (80km)||12.4mi (20km)|
|Half triathlon / Ironman70.3||1.2mi (1.9km)||56mi (90km)||13.1mi (21.09km)|
|Whole triathlon / Ironman||2.4mi (3.8km)||112mi (180km)||26.2mi (42.195km)|
Theoretically a whole triathlon is not much different from half. Biggest difference is in the numbers that you'll have to use. The weather plays a bigger role. It is very hot then you should increase the intake of a thirst quencher and a hydration drink to have in the body as enough moisture.
Plans and count when you drink or eat is even more important ... Know what you eat, especially when.
The intensity of an entire triathlon will be even lower than half. You should only sustain much longer !! So you want longer want to stay in the fat burning zone to minimize your carbohydrates talk to. This is difficult and requires many hours hence (expensive) training.
Elements that you should take good note:
- Time to start Carbo
- Well on your moisture watch in the days before the event. And keep replenishing the electrolytes well
- Take one energy gel 15 minutes before swimming
- Take at least a gel sleeve along for while swimming
- Stay compromised when swimming.
- Tape some gels on your bike and make sure you still have some energy gels and energy bars are ready for your trisuit to stop.
- During an entire triathlon you will have soon need some 20 energy gels / energy bars. You can not take all this, so check what your organization offers and on which points.
- Provide separate gels while running.
- Use the further you in the game are increasingly isotonic products as your body becomes less important to entrust their processing.
- Listen to your body
- Most dropouts by dehydration. So keep good drink. Preferably, a thirst-quencher alternating with a hydration drink. On the bike you may still use an energy drink mixed with a thirst quencher and hydration drink.
- Know where the drink stations are running
Congratulations!! You gefinished .. The recovery begins immediately, so get in the first 30 minutes recovery drink With after 60 minutes a protein tip. Normal food you will certainly not yet want, ... so keep drinking well (hydration drink) and try to eat small snacks so that your digestion is slowly going. In the days after the race, good complementing the lost moisture is very important. Drink per liter of lost moisture, at least 1.5 liters ... and a good recovery will be between 24 and 72 hours at a whole triathlon.
Need personal advice?
Support from sports food triathlon?Do you also want to enter into collaboration for your association? Then contact us for the possibilities. Collaboration can take place in many areas such as social media, presentations, meetings, banners on website, affiliate program, blogs, etc.
Contact us via itContact Form